We’ve had so much interest in this year’s prize that we couldn’t help extending the deadline by a few more weeks! Some questions have come up a few times in our inbox so we wanted to clarify parts of the criteria and give you some tips and tricks for your application!
I am a self-published author/illustrator. Can I still apply?
YES! You are eligible to apply for the prize if you are self-published. We would love to see your work.
I have entered the FAB Prize before. Can I apply again?
Absolutely! We can’t wait to see how much your work has grown over time.
I entered some of my work in a different competition. Can I use it again to enter the FAB Prize?
Yes, if your work meets our entry requirements, you can send it in to us.
What is the deadline’s cut off time?
The latest you can enter your work is at 11:59pm on Friday 1st July 2022.
What should I include in my biography?
Your biography should be between 60-80 words long. Tell us a little about yourself, your work and what inspires you. Do include links to your website or social media accounts if you have them. The biographies of our winners will be compiled into a catalogue along with their work to be sent to out to our database of agents, so make it’s something you love.
Tips for Text Submissions:
- You can send in an extract of up to 5,000 words. This can be from any part of your text. Show us your best bits!
- If you want to, you can send illustration notes or examples with your entry, but this is not essential. We will be reviewing your writing, not the images.
- Yes, you can include a short summary of the rest of the story but this is not essential.
Tips for Illustration Submissions:
- Send us a range of work. We want to see as much from you as we can.
- Include details of the platforms you share your artwork on. This can be a website or social media account(s).
- Illustrations can be for picture books, comics and graphic novels or even black and white line art, for children and teenagers of all ages. Children’s publishing is vast and we love seeing different styles.